Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Welcome to IPCOT: Mr. John's Wild Rant about Epcot

When I first went to Epcot in the 2000's, I do remember that it was a departure from the typical Disney park for a variety of reasons. First off, Epcot was more of an adult-oriented theme park because it not only served alcohol, but there weren't a bunch of attractions themed to Disney characters or to fairy-tales. It was more educational in its intent, but the thing I took away from that first visit was how Disney didn't just focus on the animated features or the typical Magic Kingdom fare (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, etc.), but how Disney focused on educating people in a fun manner. Of course, this can be seen at the Hall of Presidents, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, most of the original presentations at Disneyland (Jungle Cruise, Nature's Wonderland, and the Hall of Chemistry), and even the Pirates of the Caribbean, but this was different because the education Epcot gave guests was a park-wide experience.

However, I feel with the Intellectual Property (IP) element of overlaying attractions to a single character (e.g. the Norway Pavilion replacing the Maelstrom with Frozen) can not only be even interpreted as remotely insensitive (this coming from one of the most politically-incorrect people around), but it dilutes the educational aspect of the park.

So, welcome to IP-Cot where all the pavilions that housed their own country now has a character meet-and-greet and a gift shop dedicated not to the wares of said country, but the merchandise for an animated film. 

That would be a nightmare. Of course, I like how the Park can change over time and mean new things to new generations, but then again the character, history, and theme should really be a unique experience. After all, isn't Fantasyland the home of fairytales and royalty?

Let me get off my soapbox and I'll just say that I went to Disney World during the Summer of 2016 after the Frozen boat ride opened up. I loved the Maelstrom and while I noticed how dated it was, it could've still been updated in terms of design. Though, I'm glad they didn't pull a "Horizons" style move and demolish the place for a cheap ride. However, I never understood how Elsa has ties to Norway. Might as well rename it Arendelle. 

Heck, I'm looking at the ambitious plans to relocate a certain Parisian rat to the France Pavilion and the destruction of the Universe of Energy Pavilion in Future World for a movie tie-in for the 2020-2021 celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Walt Disney World resort and I wonder if Disney will release the Impressions of France film because I enjoyed it a lot.

Of course, IP characters always had some presence in Epcot, but my concern is that all the Pavilions will lose their own attractions for IP-related alternatives. 

I do realize that the Mexico Pavilion was closed and they were replacing the River of Time boat ride with the Three Caballeros in March 2007. In fact, I enjoy that ride, but the point is that Epcot is supposed to be unique and decisions regarding the management of the park have not been favorable to what I saw as a young boy going to Epcot for the first time.

Then again, one question I am struggling with is Canada. Who would represent Canada? Marty Moose? Wait, wrong park and wrong film. Though, seriously who'd be willing to sponsor the Canadian pavilion?

Perhaps Disney is creating a sponsor as I type this. We never know. 

Anyway, if they try to IP-ize all the pavilions at Epcot, then might I ask for a duplicate of the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride that operated in the Magic Kingdom from 1971 to 1998?



   

No comments:

Post a Comment