John L. (18 June 2019)
There is a rumor floating round about the Country Bear Jamboree at Disney World closing down and being replaced by some stupid Toy Story show. I doubt it'll happen, but knowing Disney, it seems plausible. Then again, the dude who wrote the rumor is notable for clickbait on #DisTwitter.
The 48 hours I didn't go on Twitter to enjoy Father's Day and the day after because I know how politicized it got in recent years between members of the far-left and the far-right ("why can't we have nice things?") is the day I learned about this.
I mean everything is political when you think about it and unfortunately you can't escape it. It's like a bad penny, so to speak.
Apparently, having blood on the saddle is now a no-no. The whipping of a bear called Buford is also a no-no. Oh and apparently this is a rumor on the heels of the impending 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World in 2021, so it could be totally unfounded, but there is a lot to this that can't be expressed in a simple tweet.
Anyway, it's all a wild world out there. I think that writers and artists are the only ones who can capture human nature in the same breadth as a psychologist or historian. I mean I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but a lot of things that don't offer an adequate explanation are easily answered by implied "coincidences" and theories.
On Father's Day, I went to Taco Bell before making the trip out to Phoenix and I filled my cup with Dr. Pepper because I figured it was a good day for a soda. It tasted flat and watery, so I changed it with Pepsi, which tasted a lot better. Knowing that there is a very professional relationship between Pepsi Co. and Taco Bell, it seemed probable that the Dr. Pepper was diluted to get people to drink Pepsi instead. I mean it's as understandable as the quandary that Walt Disney found himself in when it came to deciding which soda to sell at Disneyland in return for certain amenities (e.g. restrooms versus water fountains).
As per the DisTwitter controversies, it was conveniently posted on the tails of fan disappointment at Disneyland's Main Street Cinema being used as a merchandising location. I mean insert a rumor that the theme song to the Pirates ride being "too offensive" to victims of pillaging and plundering and insert a second rumor that evangelical Christians are offended by the "Satanic" imagery of the Haunted Mansion and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and wish for it to be removed and you have a field day if you are a fan of getting people riled up. Though, it seems likely given the stupidity and humorlessness of the modern world that something that has been non-offensive for fifty years is to removed and replaced by something less great.
I hope our sense of humor never dwindles down to not allowing kids to sing about, say, Frosty the Snowman without a primer in gender politics or a lecture on the implications of reciting a memorable kids' song about melting snowmen. I mean if we lose humor and knowledge, then are we still human?
Then again, while those are plausible "the Onion becomes real" headlines, I wouldn't risk a total belief in the destruction of a Walt Disney World classic from the same guy who has produced articles on "insider rumors" about the replacement of the Living Seas and the Land at Walt Disney World's Epcot Center, which have been officially dismissed. I mean what does he take us for? Idiots?
That'll do it, folks. I am done...officially. Besides, the Japanese don't want to get rid of their classics, either. They wanted the pure Disney experience in 1977, 1983, and they still want that stuff in 2019. Should they deport the Country Bears, then I should whip ("no, not Little Buford") out my passport and make a visit to Tokyo Disneyland to see the show and enjoy myself.
EDIT: The rumors are true as of last year, but I urge everyone to write a letter to Disney to express your concern. After all, it helped give WDW a Pirates ride...
No comments:
Post a Comment