Monday, April 22, 2019

A Whole New, New, New World of Tomorrow

NEW NEW NEW TOMORROWLAND

1955-Tomorrowland debuted as part of Disneyland on Opening Day with mostly quirky corporate exhibits, a handful of restaurants, shops, the Autopia, and the Rocket to the Moon.
1959-Tomorrowland had its first expansion with the Matterhorn, the Monorail, and the Submarine Voyage.
1967-Tomorrowland got a total makeover with new rides, shows, an improved Flight to the Moon, new shops, and the Tomorrowland Terrace.
1977-Space Mountain opened with its own complex of shops, restaurants, and an arcade.
1998-New Tomorrowland 98 revitalized
????


Let's retain that Steampunk aesthetic to an extent.


In light of new construction ("Project Stardust"), I am supportive of a newer, revitalized Tomorrowland with most of the intact infrastructure being repurposed properly. I will say something that I never thought I would ever say before, but here goes. I believe the People-Mover track should be removed. I will say that I do support keeping small reminders of its former existence. I do support retaining the buildings that were originally erected in 1955, gutted in 1966-1967, and standing ever since, especially their foundations. I understand the notion of progress and Tomorrowland is about change for the better, but those buildings should stay standing. I do think that the Nemo Submarine ride is cute and well-done given the very real possibility that the Lagoon was going to be demolished in the 1990's, but I feel that the Lagoon should remain and the submarines should be given the 20K treatment (nope, not being demolished and disregarded) of being converted into Nautilus subs or at least a 20 K exhibit can return to the Park.

From about July 1955 to August 1966, Disneyland's Tomorrowland had a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit (in the southern building where Star Tours stands) and the 20K theme was sent to Florida's Magic Kingdom where it operated from 1971 until 1994. Meanwhile, the Disney Sea Park at Tokyo Disneyland in Japan has a themed area ("Mysterious Island") dedicated to Jules Verne. Closer to home (Jules' home, that is) is Disneyland Paris' Discovery Land (their take on Tomorrowland) with a 20,000 Leagues walk-thru exhibit similar to the original in California, but way more popular. Ironically, the 1954 film made perfect sense to include in the 1955 Disneyland due to its release just less than seven months before the park opened, but it sank as an attraction (no pun intended).

At any rate, the Lagoon should stay and I would commission a revised Autopia with better tracks, no pungent fumes, and a solid ride system that operates swimmingly. Of course, I would make sure the Autopia track doesn't drop into the Lagoon and sink to the depths of the water. Anyway, I would take the opportunity to keep Space Mountain and revitalize the complex as a preview center and futuristic shopping center of sorts.

But let's talk about Star Wars, namely their history with Disney and the new developments in the northern end of Frontierland.

I always suspected that Disney's decision to replace Adventures Thru Inner Space with Star Tours in 1985 was made to capitalize off of the quasi-futuristic nature of flying through space in such a compact environment afforded by the show building without having to build a bigger building and besides, it's based on Star Wars, which became a strong household name upon its groundbreaking release in May 1977 (the same month and year Disneyland finally opened their own Space Mountain) and how easy it is to capitalize off of that success than to continue operating an 18-year-old corporate advertisement.

Interestingly, it warranted a major blunder (I mean "change" in park operation) with a new land placed stupidly in the midst of the backcountry of Frontierland. I mean such a brand should never have its own specific land in a Magic Kingdom-style "castle" park. I understand this somewhat contradicts my previous sentiments concerning sub-lands and even specific lands within the layout of the Parks, such as Caribbean Plaza at Walt Disney World and Bear Country (now Critter Country), but hear me out on this. Caribbean Plaza was designed in 1972 to anchor the Pirates ride to the Florida Park in the same way that Bear Country, which brought the Bear Band show to California in 1972, was designed. In terms of the layouts, those lands were each planned to be a thematic extension of their "ancestral" land. Star Wars really has no connection to Frontierland or Critter Country in any measure, but the planners just had to take up acres upon acres of land (as well as shortening the Rivers of America drastically) to build two E-Tickets, a handful of shops, and a few restaurants. We are talking about having New Orleans Square tripled in size with just Star Wars stuff, but from what I've seen, it poses a new thematic equal to the New Orleans Square as seen in the 1960's. Their E-tickets can't compare to the Pirates and the Mansion, except in perhaps Animatronic quality.

The main draw is that it's a Star Wars themed enclave that dominates the northwestern end of the Park with no remotely thematic consistency, but that's a rant for a different day.

Despite Operations manager Dick Nunis once suggesting that the Big Thunder Trail area would be temporary and the future site of a glitzy themed entertainment district in 1986, I am not impressed by the fact that a major corporate entity can merely replace that tranquil corner of the Kingdom, but ruin the sense of immersion, which has always been a tricky endeavor as far as Disneyland's size is concerned.

Perhaps, my criticism of SWGE is ignorant given that I've only seen previews and have stood at the threshold of the construction site monitoring the progress between November 2016 and November 2018, but I am steadfast in the belief that one singular IP brand such as Star Wars should never take on the size of the entirety of the northwestern corner of the park and that its mere placement in the Park beyond the Star Tours ride is just overwhelming, if not thematically wrong.

It's far too late to protest such a foolhardy decision and it's likely that for several years, the area will be tied to Star Wars, but we can only wish upon a star that the area will someday be altered to reflect a proper Discovery Bay district like the one that had been plotted out since the 1970's instead of an awkward turn between the American frontier and a galaxy far, far away.

So let's get back to Tomorrowland and what I would do to enhance the area.

I did prove that I'm not an absolute purist because I did advocate for the removal of the People Mover tracks as well a reconstruction of its former station. I think Tomorrowland needs a handsome cocktail lounge, similar to that of the post-show of Walt Disney World's Space Mountain or the penthouse in Horizons. I'm talking about the concepts made for the ending of the Carousel of Progress.

I mean alcohol in Disneyland is something I don't really approve of having in the first place, but I am advocating a Club 33-type club on the top floor of the Carousel Theater with a high-tech restaurant on the bottom floor (hopefully that offsets the damage that Club 33 has caused to the architecture of New Orleans Square and the brilliance of its design). Meanwhile, the former Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars/Pizza Port area will be a corporate exhibit and refreshment stand. The Captain E.O. Theater will be a special preview center with models and concept art of new attractions (the "preview" center with the classic attractions will be on Main Street in the Opera House). The old Starcade area would be a prime merchandise location due to its proximity to the exit of Space Mountain. It would be a continuation of the Star Traders shop next door.

We are talking about shopping as an experience, eating as an experience, and relaxing as an experience. Disney parks are built upon experiences, such as flying over London with Peter Pan, slipping down the rabbit hole with Alice, sailing with the Pirates of the Caribbean, visiting a Haunted Mansion, taking a trip down the rivers of an exotic jungle, driving through an Indian temple with Indiana Jones, flying through the darkness of space, sliding down the slopes of the Matterhorn, or riding the rails of a cursed mine train as it spins through caverns and canyons. Those are experiences that make a Disney park unique. Granted, the key to a great themed attraction or park is immersion and experience, but like the Imagineers of yesteryear, we must design and create experiences and adventures. We want to entertain and we want to educate.

However, we need to focus on doing better. We need to focus on fixing the lighting and sound in the Pirates and the Mansion on both coasts as well as restoring the original design intent to the attractions as they made those shows/rides into classics in the first place. Well, that's a whole new can of worms for a different day. Hopefully, the Star Wars area at Disneyland is immersive. I may criticize the management and creative decisions, but that never diminishes my love for the parks as similarly a patriot is one who criticizes his government and country with the intent of changing it for the better.


Love,
John







No comments:

Post a Comment