I love to travel. The change of pace from the mundane, the thrill of seeing new places, and the general vibe associated with vacation or holiday. I've had the fortune of visiting a lot of places and yet in the past few years, I've largely visited a handful of the same places. Since 2016, I have visited three countries (including the United States) and I will be reviewing seven major destinations I've visited since 2016.
DISNEYLAND
Are you surprised that Disneyland is one of the places I've visited the most? After all, I write essays and essays and of course, essays on the Park, so it only makes sense that my frequent (bi-annual) visits to the original Magic Kingdom are included in such a list. Clearly, I feel attached to the theme park resort because even with the limited acreage, Disneyland Park has the most attractions of all the Magic Kingdom-style Disney parks. That's impressive considering how it borders not only a bustling road with buses, quirky hotels, and gift shops, but one of the busiest highways in the country.
MEXICO
This is our first international foray on the list and this is not exclusive to one border town here or there, but it's simultaneously not a detailed travelogue on such a complex and beautiful country. This is Mexico, after all, with the varied terrain and diversity of people and culture. In Mexico, you see not only the authentic Mexican culture that has been pollinated by Spanish and Indian (Native) influences, but the palette of cultures from as far as Asia to as nearby as the United States. The geography is no exception as Mexico isn't just deserts or jungles or beaches. In fact, the splendor of the Mexican interior may resemble the terrain of the American Southwest, but beyond different highways and routes lie exotic wonders with cascading waterfalls and greenery. However, please be careful if you visit Mexico as there are dangers involved with certain parts of the country.
Border towns, such as Nogales and Tijuana, are known to attract American, Canadian, and even European tourists on day-trips (or night trips if you feel so bold) and are meccas for shopping, drinking, and overall people-watching. Resorts like Cabo San Lucas are notable stops for college students on Spring Break and are overall the places that gringos visit while in the country. I didn't go to those fancy resort towns like my peers, but I managed to handle the border towns without incident, except a car accident on the American side, but that's a story for the memoirs.
CANADA
As per the country to the north, Canada is actually a safer and to be honest, better destination than Mexico. There is definitely less crime in cities like Vancouver than in the United States and Mexico, so that's a plus. Also, if you want to feel at home and you're British, American, or Australian, then Canada is your place. It wasn't even that cold when I was up there, so it's fine for a summer destination. Talking about what beauty these places offer, Canada wipes out Mexico in terms of natural beauty. From places like Vancouver and Whistler to Toronto and nearby Niagara Falls, Canada is well-endowed with natural beauty. For example, a nice little drive from the hustle-and-bustle of Vancouver up to the mountains via Lion's Gate Bridge will lead you to the Capilano River Park.
DISNEY WORLD
Back to the United States and our next stop is Walt Disney World in Florida. I've written extensively about the Florida resort, but I want to just say that it is honestly one of the highlights of a trip to Florida. I mean you have Busch Gardens in Tampa (I will admit that I have never been), Miami (another bucket list city), and the Kennedy Space Center on the Atlantic coast (it was closed the day I went to that end of the state), but most importantly you have the reason why Central Florida is one of the most visited regions in the States. It's not Universal nor Sea World, it's the place with a big golf ball and a tall castle next door marking its position as the living embodiment of Walt's dream.
I mean you have the Magic Kingdom, which is very similar to California's Disneyland, and that opened in 1971. You also have the progress-driven Epcot Center, Hollywood Studios, and the Animal Kingdom park with a couple of water parks and dozens of themed resorts. I mean I will end up writing a travelogue about the Vacation Kingdom someday.
LAS VEGAS
As mentioned in a previous article, I went to Sin City early in January. I was thrilled with the city as I apparently was during my initial trip there in 1999 and clearly I was able to do more things. So Vegas is one of those places that is always changing. For example, I was born the year the New York New York hotel debuted and in the time that I've been alive, most of the casinos on the Strip at that time have either been demolished or have changed from their former selves. Compare that to the changes made in the past fifty years since Circus Circus opened in 1968 and you'll be amazed. In fact, this all stems from a desire in the 1980's and 1990's to revitalize Las Vegas and to turn its reputation of being a town ran by organized crime syndicates into a respectable, family-friendly destination.
WASHINGTON, D.C.
I love history. Ever since I was a little boy, I loved history and when I got the opportunity to visit the seat of the American government in 2016, I couldn't pass up such a chance. I went and I spent four days catching buses, photographing the sites, and touring the memorials. It was a special trip as it was for a national competition and I was a part of the team that made it happen, but that's again for my memoirs. So if you love American history, you'll feel right at home in D.C. If you are a moral person, you might not feel as comfortable with the government situated in that city.
HAWAII
Nothing quite sounds as relaxing as a nice day on a Hawaiian beach. Imagine it. You are lounging on a hammock with the blue Pacific in your view and you have a colorful drink. It's a sunny day and the scene is just right. You have Honolulu, which satisfies the honeymooners, the Tiki fanatics, and the naval history buffs in equal measure. Truly, Hawaii is a place that I felt comfortable visiting and it was the only one of the destinations I reviewed that required a flight off of the North American continent. Talk about exotic!
In conclusion, these places are calling for you and you should take the phone on this. Enjoy and be safe!
No comments:
Post a Comment